|I’m not at the IT Forum at Barcelona myself, but a lot of my ‘IT colleagues’ are.Some of them are blogging live from IT-Forum. Whenever I see interesting information coming from one of them, I’ll post it at my blog so you all can be part of the news.|
Today at the keynote of IT forum 2007 Microsoft will announce that the official name of the server virtualization technology within Windows Server 2008 will be Hyper-V. The codename was Microsoft viridian.
Microsoft will also announce the Hyper-V server. This will be a standalone hypervisor based server virtualization product that complements the Hyper-V technology in Windows server 2008 and allows customers to virtualizes workloads onto a single physical server. Windows Server 2008 will come out in 8 versions. 3 versions will have the Hyper-V capabilities, 5 versions will not.
The versions that will contain the Hyper-v capabilities are:
- Windows server 2008 standard
- Windows server 2008 Enterprise
- Windows server 2008 datacente
The versions that will NOT contain the Hyper-v capabilities are:
- Windows server 2008 standard without Hyper-V
- Windows server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V
- Windows server 2008 datacenter without Hyper-V
- Windows server 2008 Web without Hyper-V
- Windows server 2008 itanium without Hyper-V
The hypervisor virtualization product for Windows Server 2008 will be released as beta in the RTM bits of Windows Server 2008 end of Januari. Using existing Windows Update capabilities, customers can update their virtualization bits to RTM within 180 days after Windows Server 2008 RTM’s.