A few months ago Robert Bakker of Microsoft showed me Windows Search 4.0 and he told me that it’s wasn’t available for download. Now I’m just reading the WindowsVistaBlog and….yeah….a downloadable version of Windows Search 4.0!
Check the improvements compared to the search in Windows Vista :
- With Windows Search 4.0, the Windows Search Team has fixed most of the reported bugs causing a majority of distractions users have seen since Windows Vista RTM – many of those bugs were reported by you.
- Great improvements have been made with regards to performance.Even now as Preview, Windows Search 4.0 has query response time about 33%faster than search queries in Windows Vista RTM.
- The Windows Search Team has extended Remote Index Discovery for PC-to-PC search to work onevery supported version of Windows. This makes finding information on other PCs running Windows Search 4.0 quick and less resource-consuming. Now Windows Search can find information shared on a remote PC by accessing an index on that PC – and you will open files only when relevant to your search. This will also work if the user’s profile is redirected.
- The Windows Search Team has implemented Rollback Recovery where your search index will roll back to the last known good state (this is good in handling disc write errors). If an error occurs, your index isn’t rebuilt from scratch; only the newly changed files are added to the index, making recovery from system errors not as disruptive to the machine or the user
Being able to find files isn’t just important to consumers – it is also important to IT Professionals managing enterprise environments. The Windows Search Team has made some improvements in Windows Search 4.0 that IT Professionals should take note of:
- We have improved performance when indexing Exchange in online mode, sending fewer packets and making less RPC calls. In this process we apply significantly less load on the Exchange server too.
- Support for Group Policy settings is extended and improved; per-user policy is supported now.
- We now support EFS – Windows Search 4.0 will index encrypted files, and user can search for them in the sane UI and through the same user experience as seen with regular, unencrypted files.
With Windows Search 4.0, the Windows Search Team has taken the next step in improving the PC search experience in Windows.
Click here for more info about Windows Search 4.0
Download the 32-bit Vista and Windows Server 2008 Package (36 languages)
Download the 64-bit Vista and Windows Server 2008 Package (11 languages)
Download the 32-bit Windows XP Package (English only)
Download the x64-based Windows XP Package (22 languages)
Download the 32-bit Windows Server 2003 and Windows Home Server Package (10 languages)
Download the x64-based Windows Server 2003 Package (10 languages)