Buy and Download
If you want Windows 7 you can not only buy the physical media in the store of your choice, but you can also buy (and download) the ISO files at your online Microsoft Store! In an earlier blogpost I described how you can create a bootable USB stick to install Windows 7 from.
To help everybody out who isn’t technical enough to run diskpart and make a bootable usb stick from the command prompt Microsoft created a tool : Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. With this tool the only thing you have to do is to download the ISO and the tool. With a few mouse clicks you create a bootable USB stick from the downloaded ISO file!
Click Read More to see how the tool works!
How does it work?
I will describe the procedure you have to follow to create your own bootable USB stick!
- Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from the Microsoft Store Help pages.
- Run the installer (just double click the downloaded executable) and follow the instructions
- Start the tool via the link in the start menu
- Click Browse and browse to the downloaded Windows 7 ISO file
- Click Next
- Choose the Media Type. Select USB device
- Select the USB device and click Begin copying
- If there is not enough space on the usb stick you probably will see this message
Just select Erase USB device to erase your usb stick.
- Just click Yes when you see the next message (just to be sure)
- When you click Yes the tool will format the USB stick and start copying files
- When the USB stick is finished you probably will see this message
- You’re DONE! Now you can use the USB stick to install your netbook/laptop or PC with Windows 7!